The 1815 Auction
The farms and other property of the Eccleshill Estate were advertised to let in the ‘Lancaster Gazette’ of 31 December, 1814, at an auction to be held on 12 January 1815 at the New Inn, Blackburn. The names of the farms and fields are not necessarily the names we call them today but most of them can be found on the tithe map of 30 years later.
We have added names to some of the fields on the eastern part of the map which was drawn up in 1844 by the Tithe Commissioners. As you can see, some of the names match those in the advert but some have changed name or the fields have changed shape or usage.
Click in the list below if you want to look at a particular farm or scroll down to see all.
- Knowle Farm
- Eccleshill Fold/Manor House Fold
- Below Eccleshil Fold
- Pothouse and Dandy Row to Eccleshill Fold
- Above Brocklehead Farm
- Shaw Fold and Harwood Fold
- Pottery Farm towards Bent Farm
- Around Shaw’s Glazed Brick Works, Waterside
The buildings of Knowle Farm still exist today.
Eccleshill Fold/Manor House Farm
Lot 2 is the Eccleshill Fold area including Manor House Farm. Notice the old name of the ‘Handel Arms’ – the ‘Rising Sun’. It was on the same side of the road as Manor House, tucked into the corner of the bend.
Below Eccleshill Fold
This is a tricky lot to identify from the Tithe map because so many of the field names appear to have changed but one or two such as Sough Mouth Field seem to pin it to the Eccleshill Fold area.
Pothouse and Dandy Row to Eccleshill Fold
The auction was taking place several years before Dandy Row was begun but the map shows the cottages because it was produced 20 years or so after the first cottage was completed.
Above Brocklehead Farm
This area became Closes Colliery. we can only identify three fields.
Shaw Fold and Harwood Fold
These farms are opposite Dandy Row and Pothouse.
Pottery Farm towards Bent Farm
Pottery Farm was a pottery at times and the field names reflect this.
Around Shaw’s Glazed Brick Works, Waterside
Shaw’s only moved to Waterside around the turn of the 19th-20th centuries, over 50 years after the tithe map was drawn.